Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Persuasion and Magic Assignments

Today I had one of those "well, duh" flashes for an assignment that tied some reading the kids have done forever into the unit as a whole far more closely than before.

In honors Nonfiction, we've been working on persuasion, specifically the three types. We identified logos, pathos, and ethos in the Statement by Eight Alabama Clergymen and Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Letter from Birmingham Jail. They annotated the text as homework over the weekend and today they looked at the arguments in groups and picked what they believed where the top three arguments in the text, then identified and supported their top pick to the class. I love the buzz as they discuss the different examples and really pick them apart.

Following that, for the past couple of years I've had the kids read "Running for His Life" by Michael Hall and then we've discussed purpose afterward. I've been way off on my planning, timing-wise, so far this year and I thought we might have time to fit in reading and discussing the essay, but I was way off. I sent them off with the task to write up a paragraph analysis of persuasion and Hall's purpose, due tomorrow. DUH! Now they'll be prepared and accountable in the discussion tomorrow. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment